If I get up on my soap box this week, I might not come down, so instead I’ll just link this small collection of articles that seemed to follow a theme. My selection has an editorial slant – a prerogative I am able to employ as a blogger, and if you’ve been reading my posts with a regular basis, you are probably fairly familiar with the regard with which I hold social media. “But Chris, if you don’t like it, why do you read/watch/participate in it?” Because you should never turn your back on something that has the potential to harm you.
Here’s what’s news this week in Social Media:
- Facebook reportedly had evidence that its algorithms were dividing people, but top executives killed or weakened proposed solutions
- YouTube auto-deletes comments with phrases critical of Chinese government
- Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time
- Bill Gates Conspiracy Theories Have Circulated For Years. It Took The Coronavirus Pandemic To Turn Him Into A Fake Villain.
- Twitter says it is not removing Trump tweets on deceased Scarborough staff member
- Roughly half the Twitter accounts pushing to ‘reopen America’ are bots, researchers found
That double-edged sword is looking a lot sharper on the wrong side, eh?